Sunday, November 18, 2007

The Bookends of Faith

The Apostle Paul writes in Romans 1:17 that the righteousness of God revealed in the gospel is "from faith to faith" or " by faith from first to last." That is, our right standing with God through Christ is always, on our part, "by faith."

The entire Christian life is by faith. What is faith? Faith is trusting or relying upon God according to His Word. It is being sure that God is true and will be faithful to His promises. It is clinging to God not only for my eternal desitiny, but for my present obedience, moment by moment, day by day. The object of faith is God himself: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Faith is NOT relying upon myself or my determination, or my feelings of commitment or what I think is or is not possible. Faith in its most basic sense is a raw reliance upon God because God has said so.

In another place the same Paul writes that "we walk by faith, not by sight" 2 Corinthians 5:7. That is, we live by looking at God and His Word, not my surroundings or circumstances. The ONLY stability that is available here on planet Earth is that which comes as we walk by faith. The reason for this is simple: God says, "I am the Lord, I change not" Malachi 3; and "Jesus Christ is the same, yesterday, today, and tomorrow" Hebrews 13. As I TRUST in the unchanging God I more and more take on His very character.

Perhaps like me, your struggle today is not so much with what that person did to you that has you in a wrestling match with bitterness, nor with the fact that you did not receive warm love and affirmation from your parents growing up, nor that others just don't understand you and give you your due, nor with the bad lot that life has thrown you... but perhaps your struggle is with FAITH. Perhaps you have decided to walk by sight and you have decided that God is not trustworthy. Perhaps you have decided God is faithful to others but not you. Perhaps the eyes of faith have been distracted to focus on all that is going wrong.

Precious friend, LOOK UP! There in heaven is seated the Father, who planned a great salvation for you and then sent His Son. There at His right hand is the Son, who accomplished your salvation by His death and resurrection and continues to hold you in His hand by His present intercession. And HERE is the SPIRIT, indwelling you, never to leave you, ready, if you cease to grieve Him by unbelief, to fill you with the power and character of Jesus Christ. And this blessed and eternal Trinity's help is only a PRAYER OF FAITH away.

This life is by faith from first to last. The bookends of it all. Let us PRAY IN FAITH!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WOW! This is the very thing the Lord has been teaching me and burning into my being...what it truly means to walk by faith and not by sight. It's the very thing my heart so desires, and yet the very thing of which my mind gets in the way. But regardless, it's the very thing I'm holding onto and cling to for dear life.

Lord, thanks so much again for your precious word!! And Mike, thanks for you words of encouragement. I so want to be God's woman of FAITH.

Brenda