Tuesday, November 20, 2007

No Time Like the Present to be Thankful

Some of the benefits of being genuinely thankful to God through the Lord Jesus Christ:
  • I have the feet of my faith planted firmly in reality. The truth is, I always have a mountain of things to be thankful for. Since God is sovereign over all things and is good and is for me, complaining is the most rank kind of unbelief and is ridiculously blind. Thankfulness is standing where I should be, acknowledging the reality of God's unfailing goodness.
  • Thankfulness directs the eyes of my heart towards Christ, where my faith can grow and I can move into greater trust and I can stay connected to Him. Thankfulness is decidedly personal and enhances my relationship to my Personal Father and Savior.
  • Thankfulness is the kind of witness this cranky, "victimized," complaining world around me needs. Fate is not in control. A good, personal God is.
  • Thankfulness is obedience to God. "In everything give thanks, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus" 1Thessalonians 5:18. To be unthankful or not to be thankful is to sin.
  • Thankfulness allows me to be filled and stay filled with the Spirit. Ephesians 5:18-20
  • Thankfulness makes me so much more attractive to others. Who wants to be around a whiner?
  • Thankfulness brings glory to God.
  • Thankfulness reaffirms me as the needy receiver and God as the Source.
  • Thankfulness allows me to infect others with something good instead of something that is soul-shrinking.
  • Thankfulness makes others look better and allows me to like and love them because I do not see them as problems or as those who are blocking the way to my happiness. God is in control of that.
  • Thankfulness is part of a winning strategy against the enemy of my soul, the original dissatisfied being, Satan.
  • Thankfulness allows me to see others as blessings from God and not bothers.

Just to name a few.

No comments: