Friday, March 14, 2008

What do you do with advice?

Proverbs 12:15: "The way of a fool is right in his own eyes, but a wise man listens to advice."

There is far too much presumption of omniscience in most of us! That is, we make our plans, we mull over what is the proper way to proceed in a situation, and then we move forward, thinking that all critical facets of this decision have been considered. What more is to be seen? What else needs to be considered? Advice? That's for those who can't think for themselves.

Only God sees all and knows all: He alone is omniscient!

The wise writer of this proverb tells us in no uncertain terms that it is the fool who is confident he sees all and needs no input on decisions and direction. If someone tries to offer advice or input, he may even take it "graciously," but he will then stash it in his mental file 13. How often I have played the omniscient fool!

Nothing short of significant mental and spiritual blindness could cause us to think that we ever see all the sides of any matter. What arrogance to summarily dismiss the suggestions of others in the name of "I see all." Who would ever verbalize those words? But how often we practically live them out!

How well do you receive advice? When you listen to it, what do you do with it? How often God would speak to me through others but the wax of lethargy has built up in my ears to the point where I just don't take them seriously.

As a believer, I profess to be part of the BODY of Christ. This Body has many parts with many differing gifts, backgrounds, experiences, growth histories, and insights. As a Christian who is a faithful part of a local body of believers, I NEVER have to make a decision or plot a course with a partial view of things. All around me are those in whom God has been developing and teaching wisdom. They love to help. There is good advice galore.

Do I ask for it? If I do, do I carefully consider it once it is given?

How about the advice of the Scriptures? What infinite, sufficient sources of wisdom from an inspired David or Solomon or Moses or Paul or Peter or John...or JESUS! Do I intentionally search the Scriptures when I am making plans or decisions?

How easily do you ask for advice and receive advice? This is a test of whether you and I are growing wise or remaining foolish.

"O God, give me ears to hear your voice through those you have surrounded me with, especially the body of Christ. Grant me a renewed love for your Word, where all I need for life and godliness is abundantly supplied. Make me a wiser man with ears wax-free to the advice of others."

No comments: