Tuesday, August 26, 2008

The Importance of Calling to Mind

In the Book of Lamentations, the prophet Jeremiah is pouring out the bitterness and pain of his heart to the LORD as he observes and experiences God's judgement on His people. In chapter 3 he says he is "filled with bitteness" and cowering "in the ashes". His soul is "bereft of peace" and he has "forgotten what happiness is." He has reached the end of his endurance and his hope has perished (vv.15-18).

Ever feel like that? You probably have NOT experienced the life and hope shattering devastation that Jeremiah endured, but you have probably been in bitter places, humbled by your own failure to the emotional ash heap. You no doubt know what it is to have sinned away God's peace and what it is to feel like your future is black with NO light at the end of the tunnel.

Jeremiah gives us in vv.21-24 the biblical solution to our personal times of darkness and despair:

"But this I call to mind, and therefore I have hope: the steadfast love of the LORD never ceases; his mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. The LORD is my portion, says my soul, therefore I will hope in him."

"But this I call to mind..." When everything around me is dark; when my failures have thrown me into the ashes, when all that I cherished is being shaken...like Jeremiah I need to "call to mind" the CHARACTER and COVENANT of the LORD. My character will fail. His won't. There will be times when I will not keep my commitment to Christ. He will NEVER break His covenant and commitment to me.

Instead of sniffing in the putrid fumes of my failure, I must CHOOSE to turn my thoughts, my memory, my heart towards my Lord. I must drink in the purifying air of the CROSS. I must plug in the IV of His promises to me in Christ. When I call to mind His steadfast or unfailing love...I have hope. He WON'T stop loving me. I am His purchased possession. His mercy to me will be INFINITELY great tomorrow morning, none depleted by my foolish actions or thoughts or words.

In fact I must CHOOSE to call this to mind: this awesome LORD is "my portion"! That is, HE is what I have been given as a Christian. I have gotten HIM! He has given HIMSELF to me. My portion is not just blessings from God but the BLESSING GOD HIMSELF.

Next time you are wallowing in the mire of your own making, CALL these things to MIND. Call HIM to mind.

No comments: