Friday, February 8, 2008

Courage from I AM

After Jesus fed the 5,000 (men, + perhaps 10-15,000 more women and children!?), he sent his disciples across the water to Bethsaida, up on the north shore of the Sea of Galilee. Jesus then retreated up on the mountain for prayer. Soon the disciples were in trouble, rowing against a contrary head wind. Jesus saw them.

Sometime between 3 and 6am Jesus went to the disciples "walking on the sea" Mark 6:48. Mark tells us that Jesus intended to "pass by them." Why? We don't know. Perhaps this was another stormy classroom for the disciples' faith. Perhaps Jesus intended for them to see him and cry out for help so that he could once again reveal His deity to them in nature-subduing power. Every storm is a classroom of faith. However, like the 12, we don't always pass the quiz.

The disciples DID cry out, but NOT for Jesus. They just cried out in fear, thinking the form walking on the water was a ghost. Jesus immediately identified himself to them. HOW Jesus did this is glorious.

Jesus said, "Take heart; it is I. Do not be afraid" v.50.

"Take heart" = Be bold. Be courageous. Be willing to face this difficult situation or this unknown presence without fear.

But WHY? Why should they, why should WE be courageous in the face of the opposing winds in life and when we are confronted with frightening prospects?

"It is I." It is I are the Greek words for "I AM." Be bold, be courageous...because I AM.

I AM was God's identification to Moses in the burning bush (Exodus 3:14). I AM is Jehovah or Yahweh. I am has several significances:
  • The Eternal, Unchanging One
  • The Self-Existent One
  • The Covenant-Keeping One

Jesus wanted the 12 AND HE WANTS US to know WHO HE IS. He is I AM. HE is God. He is eternal, unchanging, self-existent (dependent upon no one and no thing), and He keeps His covenant of love and forgiveness without fail for His children.

Some further definition of who I AM is is seen in OT hyphenated names of God, such as:

  • Jehovah-Jireh: The LORD who PROVIDES
  • Jehovah-Nissi: The LORD who is my BANNER (of protection over me)
  • Jehovah-Shalom: The LORD who is PEACE
  • Jehovah-Shammah: The LORD is THERE
  • Jehovah-Tsidkenu: The LORD my RIGHTEOUSNESS

Now think of the glorious encouragement Jesus gave the 12 in that contrary wind as they cried out in terror, "Be courageous, I AM (is here)."

Jesus would speak the same words to you and me today, whatever the contrary wind or fear that we are facing..."Be courageous, I AM."

  • I AM the Provider for your financial need.
  • I AM the Protection you need from the devil and people's intentions to hurt you
  • I AM the Power you need in the person of My Spirit to love and be kind and self-controlled
  • I AM the Wisdom you need for this difficult decision
  • I AM the One who will NEVER leave you or FORSAKE you.
  • I AM the One in whom all the promises of God are yours to claim.
  • I AM

Friends, He will never cease to be I AM. "Jesus Christ is the same, yesterday, today, and forever" Hebrews 13:8.





No comments: