Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Discipline for Winning at Ministry and Life

The Apostle Paul lived a life for the sake of others. This included things like not having a wife, eating and drinking simply, working for a living at times when he could have lived on support from others, and adjusting to whatever group he was with so that he would not lose a chance to share the gospel (see 1 Corinthians 9 for all these).

However, living this way was not always easy. Paul, just like you and me was a man with a body that has desires and in which the power of sin was at work (see Romans 7). Therefore, in order to live in a way that was most effective for the gospel ministry at all times, he had to discipline himself in all things.

Paul used the image of an athlete to convey this truth in 1 Corinthians 9:24-27. There were athletic games in Corinth, the Isthmian games, that were second only to the Olympic games in Greece. People knew well the image of the runner who trained constantly for the honor of wearing the laurel wreath as winner of his event in the games.

Paul makes several very significant points about the kind of discipline it takes to win at ministry and life all the way until the race finally ends.

"Do you not know that in a race all the runners compete, but only one receives the prize? So run that you may obtain it. Every athlete exercises self control in all things. They do it to receive a perishable wreath, but we an imperishable. So I do not run aimlessly; I do not box as one beating the air. But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified."

Some of the important truths here:
  • There is an important MINDSET that is necessary in life and ministry that will keep us running in a winning manner to the end of the race. Paul says, "...Run that you may obtain it." That is, we must run our Christian life with the determination that we will, by God's grace, succeed in this thing. We are going to keep on. We will not be turned aside. There is a prize out there (Jesus!) and we intend on getting it. We will do whatever it takes to win.

  • Another important truth here is that winning discipline is UNIVERSAL. That is, we must "exercise self-control in ALL things." I cannot work hard at my study and let my eating border on gluttony (Oh Lord, how I lived there for SO many years!). I dare not think that compromise and laziness in one area of my life will not ultimately affect ALL areas of my life. It will. It does. It has. There is a spiritual domino effect in all of our lives. To win in one area requires some level of winning in all areas of my life. This does not mean or necessitate perfection. Just a mind to fight the battle on all fronts. Often continued failure in one area is due to the effect of failures to discipline in other areas.

  • Winning self-discipline always has in view the REWARD. None of us disciplines except for some reward. It may be to look better, to get a better job, to please a boss, or to keep healthy for a long life, but there is some reward we are after. Paul says the runners in the Isthmian games ran for a perishable wreath. This laurel wreath was just leaves and branches, but it was the SOURCE of much praise of man and acclaim. Ultimately though, it was perishable, it would shrivel up, along with the praise. But WE run for an "imperishable" wreath, that is, the crown of righteousness, Heaven itself with Jesus at the center! This is the reward of rewards, the ETERNAL reward. All the glory of Almighty God and His Son to enjoy and serve forever. No shriveling! I must be able to remind myself day by day, as the struggle gets old and hard, that I am after something that is worth it all, the "pearl of great price." The reward of HIM will draw me on through thick and thin all the way to the finish line...a winner.

  • My goal in discipline is to "discipline my body and keep it under control." That is, I must be MY BODY'S MASTER, not it my master. I am out to make it my slave every day, every meal, every morning when the alarm mocks me, every fork in the road to take the way of ease or the way of faithfulness. I cannot run the race if my body tells me to quit or slow up or cheat and I obey. I must be in charge by the Holy Spirit's power (Romans 8:13). I will sign no compromise with my body.

What about you?

  • Is your mindset, "I am, by God's grace, going to win this race"?

  • Are you exercising self-control in all things?

  • Do you remind yourself that it is Jesus at the end of the race that you will win and therefore the whole thing, whatever it requires, is worth it?

  • Who's in control: you or your appetites?

Run in such a way that you may win...at ministry and life...to the end of the race...for Jesus' sake

No comments: