Monday, February 18, 2008

The Wisdom of Saying Just Enough

Proverbs 10:19: "When words are many, trangression is not lacking, but whoever restrains his lips is prudent."

The wise man tells us here that with an increased volume of words comes the certainty of sin. It's a fact: talk too much or too long and you will hurt someone, regret something you've said, or just plain look the part of the fool.

What are some times when we are likely to talk too much?
  • When I dont' know exactly what I am trying to say, or
  • When I am angry and want to make it clear that I am angry and what/who has made me angry, or
  • When I am just plain being silly, or
  • When I am nervous around someone and don't know what to say in their presence, or
  • When I have not done my homework and still want to sound informed, or
  • When I've had too much chocolate!?

WHY would we ever talk too much?

  • We want to be the center of attention, or
  • We want to inflict pain on someone else...verbal pain, or
  • We want to control the conversation or situation.

What is God's solution to too many words?

  • Restrain your lips. Put a lid on it! How? By the Spirit, whose fruit is "self-control" (Galatians 5:22,23).
  • Think about what you are going to say before you do. Unfiltered words can destroy a relationship. What will be the likely impact of what I am about to say?
  • Think about the other person/people who are listening. Give much thought to Ephesians 4:29. Will this build up my brother, sister, friend?
  • Ask more questions. Show that you care by inquiring. Do I really want to know what is going on in this person's life? If not, perhaps I should not be saying ANYTHING at all!!
  • Consider how what you say will reflect on the Lord Jesus Christ and your testimony as a believer. 1 Corinthians 10:31

"Lord, grant me the help of your Spirit to think about my words before they leave my mouth forever. Give me such love for You and others that I speak with THEM in mind, and not just myself. When I would speak angrily, grant me grace to put a lid on it! May I be seen and HEARD as wise because of both the QUALITY and QUANTITY of my words. For Jesus' sake, Amen."

No comments: