Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Delight and Desires

In the familiar Psalm 37:4 we are commanded,

"Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart."

If "delight" is a command, then it has to be something we can do by choice. Of course, not by unaided choice, but by Spirit-aided choice. This means that there is never a morning when my earth-bound heart is unable to delight in the Lord. This means there is never an unpleasant exchange with a family member or work associate when I cannot delight in the Lord. This means that there is never a day that faces me with an overflowing schedule and unending demands that I cannot face with delight in the Lord. If I am commanded to do it, God will enable me to do it.

But what does it mean to "delight" in the Lord? It means to find my joy in Him, to make Him the object of my desire and happiness. It means to believe that in Him is the greatest heart satisfaction possible. It means to believe that obeying Him yields the best that life has to offer. He IS delightful. His WAY is delightful. His COMMANDS are delightful. And His delightfulness is unchanging and never diminshing. If I have a bad taste in my heart from trying to find delight in something or someone else, I can, with the Spirit's help, turn my hungry heart to delight in the Lord. By faith I can say, "Lord, my soul appetite is all messed up. I have a taste for what does not satisfy. I know by faith that You are all-satisfying. Forgive my choices from the world's menu. Give me grace to look to You and see You as you are and to feed on the delight of Your love and mercy and grace."

From this choice to delight in Him flows from Him new DESIRES. "And He will give you the desires of your heart." "Desires" has to do with "requests." When my object of delight has become the Lord himself, my desires begin to change. When I choose to eat good food and drink healthy, pure beverages I lose my desire for junk. I may want a salad instead of nachos. I may desire a cold glass of apple juice instead of diet coke. Choosing to delight in Christ results in new, godly desires. This translates into prayer. I begin to pray for what is pleasing to Him who is my delight. I pray according to the will of God. I want what He wants. My whole "wanting" mechanism is transformed. Note this begins NOT with obedience out of threat of punishment or guilt, but with a choice to DELIGHT. True spiritual life flows from delight in God, the belief that the God who redeems at the price of His sinless Son is ultimately satisfying.

Could this be why my prayer life is so often lacking in passion and perseverance? My desires, that is, my requests to God flow from my delight in God. Is HE my delight? If so, passionate prayer for His desires that have become MY desires will flow.

"Lord, give us an overwhelming appetite for YOU."

No comments: