Sunday, September 16, 2007

Our Help in Temptation

We have a glorious truth regarding help in temptation in Hebrews 4:15-16:

"For we do not have a hight priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but one who in every respect has been tempted as we are, yet without sin. Let us then with confidence draw near to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need."

When we see Jesus being tempted in Mark 1, Matthew 4, and Luke 4 we see the eternal Son become also man being tempted "in every respect" as we are tempted. That is, the whole range of human temptation confronted Him: the temptation to satisfy my desires my own way, the temptation to promote myself in my way and in my time, and the temptation to pile up "stuff" by giving it my heart instead of worshipping God. That pretty much describes all temptation. But the thing that was different about Jesus' temptation from that of every other man from Adam onward was HE NEVER GAVE IN. He always lived by every word that comes from the mouth of God and never betrayed God for bread.

I have betrayed God for bread...and donuts...and diet coke...and a long list of other pleasures, conveniences, self-promotions, and stuff. Because He has redeemed me I don't want to do this. I want to live by His Word at the point of testing and temptation. I want to stand up to the adversary's smooth salesmanship with "thus says the Lord." I have only one hope for imitating my Victor in temptation.

My hope is in "drawing near" to the throne of grace, the very presence of Almighty God. How can I, a man who would betray the Almighty for that third sausage biscuit, dare to show my face before the Holy One? BECAUSE I have One there for me, interceding my case, who KNOWS what it is like to face temptation, to feel the attempted exploitation of hunger and loneliness and heart worship. Jesus is at the right hand of God ever-living to intercede for me (and you!). He does it with sympathy, He fellow-feels with us. It is His ministry on our behalf before God that assures us the mercy that accepts a sin-prone soul's cry and the dispensing of grace for whatever is needed: forgiveness, clear-thinking, effective praying, recalling the promises, a quick way out, courage to ask a brother for help, and etc. So...

"Let us then with confidence draw near."

No comments: