Friday, September 14, 2007

It's ALL about Christ!

To a church riddled with the disunity that comes from the personality cult, the Apostle Paul hits at the heart of this man-centered disease with a passion in 1 Corinthians 1 as he turns the spotlight on Jesus Christ. He reminds them (and me!) that...

You are sanctified and called to be saints...in Christ Jesus, v.2
Your whole saving confession is to call upon the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, v.2
The grace of God has been given us in Christ Jesus, v.4
Salvation is being called into fellowship with God's Son, Jesus Christ our Lord, v.9
Christ, in his glorious work on the cross is the core of our unity, v.13
Christ is the saving wisdom and power of God, v.24
Christ has been made by God to be our wisdom, our righteousness, our sanctification, and our redemption, v.30

The practical application of all of this?

"Let the one who boasts, boast in the Lord."

God would have me to boast, glory, exult, and get my extreme heart happiness in Christ and Christ alone. Who I am is because of Christ. My eternity is wrapped up in Christ. All I need from God for today will come from Christ. The gospel is about Christ. Church is about Christ.

I get a kick when Tiger Woods wins another tournament. I love to see ARod putting up more numbers in the HR and RBI columns. I am proud of my daughters when they nail it during their piano or voice recitals. But the whole-soul boast that comes from deepest within is reserved for my Lord Jesus Christ. I have no hope, no blessed eternity, no fellowship with God, and no power and wisdom for today apart from Him.

"Father, may my heart have its constant, desperate, worship-filled gaze today on your Son, whom YOU have made for me, of all people, all things for good for time and eternity. Amen!"

No comments: