Friday, September 21, 2007

An Encouragement to Pray

God has graciously grabbed my heart for a renewed emphasis in prayer. That is, He has shown me once again how desperately I need Him and how my need and His provision are connected through prayer. He has also reminded me of how He is ready at all times to pour out the "riches of His grace" (Ephesians 1:7) on my life, to "lavish" His spiritual blessings already secured for me through Christ.

I have a somewhat wealthy friend. I asked my daughters, "What is my multi-millionaire friend Joe (fake name supplied to protect the innocent wealthy) called tonight at 8pm asking if there was anything I needed? 'Mike, do you need anything? Are your cars running well? Any unpaid bills I can help with? The house in good repair?' I answer, "Everything's in good repair and all the bills are paid, Joe." Tomorrow night the phone rings again at 8pm. It's Joe. "Mike, do your wife or kids need anything? Any hospital bills that need paying? Any mission trips I can help finance?" Again, I answer, "Everything's great, Joe. Thanks for asking!" Next night, 8pm, phone rings. You guessed it, it's Joe. Once again he's asking if he can help in any way.

After a few consecutive nights of calls from my wealthy friend, I am clearly convinced that HE REALLY WANTS TO HELP! HE IS WILLING TO GIVE ANY FINANCIAL HELP I NEED FOR ANY NEED. His persistence in asking has shown his readiness to give.

My friends, have you ever tried to count the number of commands, promises, and models of prayer there are in the Scriptures? "Keep on asking, and you will receive. Keep on seeking and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened to you." Matthew 7:7. "Devote yourselves to prayer, keeping alert in it with an attitude of thanksgiving." Colossians 4:2. "Men should always pray and never give up." Luke 18:1. "Pray without ceasing." 1Thessalonians 5:17. "...Praying at all times in the Spirit, with all prayer and supplication. To that end keep alert with all perserverance, making supplication for all the saints." Ephesians 6:18. To quote a very few.

These commands to pray and these promises for prayer are all God's gracious encouragements for us to COME TO HIM AND ASK FOR HELP! It is as if God is calling every night at 8pm asking if He can help. "Mike, any need for love? Any heart for the lost I can supply? Any shepherding skills I can pour out on you? Any wisdom for how to parent your kids that I can lavish on you? Any passion for holiness needed?"

"YES, LORD!! There is. Right now. Always. I am desperately needy for your supply of grace. Thank you for reminding over and over and over that you stand ready to lavish all I need from your infinite supply if I will only ASK in faith."

1 comment:

Greg said...

Thanks, Brother Mike.

I've been following your blog for the past few days, and I'm blessed to read your thoughts. I've been feeling somewhat convicted in the area of prayer myself (again) and this was the shot in the arm (or kick in the proverbial pants) I needed!

Warmest regards in Christ Jesus,
--Greg